Getting through life, infertility, pregnancy and motherhood one kiss at a time.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

22w3d... Hospitalized... Scary Couple of Days

I apologize in advance for any spelling and grammar errors, as I am hopped up on serious pain killers.

On Sunday night, I was having serious back pain, and blood in my urine, so I called the on call OB, and was told over the phone that I probably had a bladder infection, and that they were going to call in some antibiotics that should clear it right up. Well, DH put me to bed, and went to get my meds. Well, I took my meds, and fell asleep, but slept terribly. I stayed home from work on Monday, trying to help myself heal.

At about 8pm on Monday night, I had another bout of serious back pain, and still had blood in my urine, even after being on the antibiotics for 24-hours. Well I called the on-call OB again, and she decided to have me come in to L&D and get a urine sample, and to double check for a possible small kidney stone(she didn't think this would be the case.) Well after my urine came back with no bacteria in it, she decided to send me down for a renal ultrasound. We got a very quick look at our little boy. He was waving at us as if to let us know that he was still perfect. Anyways after that, it was pretty obvious that I had a stone in my right kidney, but the tech didn't tell us anything else at that point. Well when the OB came to tell me the results, she revealed that it was the biggest kidney stone she had ever seen, just over 2 centimeters. She also said that she was going to admit me into the antipartum unit until a urologist was able to assess the stone.

Well I was in the hospital from Monday evening till today at noon. Basically, I have a massive kidney stone that will NOT pass on its own. If I weren't pregnant they would shock pulverize it and it would turn into powder/smaller pieces, and I would expel them (painfully I might add). Anyways, they can't do that before our little boy is born.

So for the rest of the pregnancy they can only manage the pain, meaning that I will be on percocet/every 4 hours and an antibiotic/ 1 per day. Unfortunately that means that I can't drive for the remainder of the pregnancy, or whenever I am on the percocet. The OB asked that I should get my disability paperwork from work, and start my disability leave now, through 6-8 weeks post-partum. I am not on bedrest (at this point), but I am supposed to take it easy because of the narcotics.

Well I am sure I have regaled you all with enough info for a while, but I figured that I'd update everyone. I also found out that The NEST and my blog are blocked from the hospital internet. I'll be blogging a lot more in the future, since I'll have less to do.

BTW, if anyone else has had to deal with anything even CLOSE to any of this I would LOVE to hear from you. There was SO much information that I had to take in during the last few days, I am a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for making it through the long story.

3 comments:

Busted said...

Oh my gosh, how scary!!! I'm glad you are ok, but so sorry you have to tolerate this pain for the next 18 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hun,
Well you've heard my point of view on this one... I can't help you physically, but I will be at your disposal whenever I'm in town - for you and Bri! Oh and I'm teaching you kntting... I got a ton of free yarn today, have some fabulous books to show you how to do the stiches, and all the patterns you could want at my disposal. It's mentally soothing, but still interactive, and non-commital (but in a good way). We can't do much to fix the stone situation, but we're gonna make everything else as enjoyable as possible for you. I'll keep brainstorming other activities you can do!
Your sis
(who's now a senior - yikes! lol.)

Unknown said...

We are thinking of you, Brian and baby Sean.
Love,
Courtney